Writing Desk and Chair Complete!

Yesterday I finished applying the liming wax and honestly I wasnt sure if I really liked it until I brought it into the room, luckily I did!
I think every room needs a balance between wood and painted/colored furniture to avoid looking too heavy.
I started off with this craigslist find, $65 for both
David and I took turns sanding ...
Once it was sanded completely, it was given a protective finish with Briwax Liming Wax - designed to leave a white washed tone in the grain of the wood
The chair was painted and the seat was upholstered
I searched high and low for handles, even anthropologie let me down - everywhere I looked only had a few handles (most of which were too modern or belonged on a kitchen cabinet) 
So I decided to attempt my own version using, wire and beads
Honestly, before I started I was afraid that it was going to look like a cheap craft project ... but with no other options, what could it hurt to try?
Beads were threaded on the wire and inserted into the existing holes and the wire was bent on the inside to secure the handle (wire must be heavy to keep the handle straight and secure)
I like how they turned out - they are soft and elegant, like the desk. I think I will keep looking for others, but for now they are a keeper.
Total price for the wire and beads was about $8, so each pull was only about $2
The center knobs are original with the desk
Once I decided on the hardware, I decided the desk was finally finished (at least for now!)
I made the pencil/pen cups from jars - the pencil cup is wrapped with fabric and secured with glue and I coated the inside of the pen cup with left over paint from the console table
and last but not least, the center pops up and reveals a mirror - I added some white to SW Anew Gray used to paint the chair to paint the interior
The mirror is original - you can see the yellowing from age
and one last before and after:
Pretty big difference!

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment